I tried to stay away from chocolate for awhile…it was a short while! Now it’s time for Valentine’s Day recipes and it just wouldn’t be right to not include chocolate! The good news is that these are made with cocoa powder and Swerve Sweetener (my favorite natural sweetener than contains no sugar!) and dark chocolate chips, so they are fairly low in sugar.
I debated over using cherries or strawberries in this recipe. I think both are a part of many Valentine’s celebrations with chocolate covered cherries found in most assorted chocolate boxes and chocolate dipped strawberries a favorite of many this time of year. I chose strawberries since fresh organic berries are available right now and cherries are only found frozen this time of year. I highly suggest fresh fruit for the lower moisture content. Frozen fruit lets off more moisture and will make these extra gooey. These cookies are already gooey and that’s why they are named brownie cookies. These can also be made with no fruit, but I would add an extra tablespoon of coconut milk to create more moisture. Either way, these are delicious!!!
You will see in the instructions that you melt the butter/oil and add in the cacao/cocoa powder. I learned that cocoa powder gives a better chocolate flavor to baked goods instead of using unsweetened chocolate. But…to bring out the flavor of the powder, it must be added to a warm liquid to bring out the flavor molecules. These turned out very chocolatey and maybe this is why, I only tried it this way. I certainly don’t need to make another batch to test this theory, two batches were enough to consume this week!!!
Swerve is on sale until the end of the month, you receive 40 single serve packs with your order! Use Coupon Code KATE10 for an additional 10% off!!
Recipe: Chocolate Strawberry Brownie Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Honeyville Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sweetener (I prefer Swerve or erythritol for a sugar free option)
- 3 tbsp full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips*
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, chopped**
- Melt the butter/oil in a saucepan. Once melted, add the cocoa/cacao powder and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and remove from heat
- Once the chocolate chips have melted, add the coconut milk, sweetener and vanilla and blend with hand mixer
- Combine the almond flour, salt and soda in a mixing bowl. Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir well
- Fold in the additional 1/2 cup chocolate chips and strawberries
- Bake at 350 on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 11-13 minutes
- Let cookies set up on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes or they will fall apart
- Let cool on a cooling rack to continue to set up
- Store in an airtight container
I highly recommend using Honeyville flour or these may turn out very very gooey.
These may also work in an 8×8 greased pan to create brownies. The cooking time will be longer and the inside may not get cooked through. I have not tried this, but I’d be just fine eating these with a spoon if need be!!!