Holiday favorite to many, including myself. I can’t imagine downing a glass of the real stuff right now. My stomach, sinuses and skin would hate me for days!!! As good as it tastes, it’s so not worth it. I was thrilled to see So Delicious come out with their eggnog this season made from coconut milk. I was not thrilled to see the amount of sugar in it. Inspired by a few recipes out there, I decided to take on the challenge of creating my own and liked the result. It’s not as thick and heavy as regular eggnog, but it’s better on the belly!
Recipe: Dairy-Free Eggnog
- Separate the yolks into a mixing bowl, whisk and set aside (you can save the whites to make a whipped topping)
- In medium size pot, combine everything but the yolks
- Cook on medium heat stirring often so milk doesn’t burn. Once it reaches a boil, cook for 5 more minutes
- Turn heat to low and add half the mixture to bowl of yolks, whisking to combine. Pour that bowl back into pot and cook for 5 more minutes
- Chill and serve plain or with booze
- Whisk egg whites with a bit of maple syrup or coconut sugar until small peaks form
You can also use homemade almond or coconut milk but I think the milks I used added a bit more vanilla flavor to it. If you don’t have vanilla beans, add a little more extract to taste.
This could be sweetened with maple syrup or coconut sugar as well.