Have you seen how many varieties of Cheez-Its there are now? I’m rarely at any store other than Whole Foods and Natural Grocers, so when I am, I am always in awe at all the new junk food…it really isn’t worthy of being called food! Is anyone else guilty of looking at other people’s carts and wondering what they are thinking and how did they miss that soda, boxed fake meals and corn syrup laden goodies are so horrible for you!!! I realize not everyone is so fortunate to shop at Whole Foods, but come on, make better choices with what is available to you!!!
OK, enough of my rant! Here is a recipe that uses nutritional yeast for a dairy free cheesy cracker recipe that you can feel good about eating! I almost didn’t get a chance to take a picture of these before they were gone. Someone was sneaking them off the pile of my setup for the picture…they are that good!!! These are the perfect cracker to dip or break up into my Bacon Chili Recipe!!!
Recipe: Grain Free “Cheez-Its”
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour*
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine the flour, salt and yeast in a bowl
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg with the melted butter/oil and lemon juice
- Combine the two bowls and stir until dough forms
- Place the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness
- With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut dough into desired cracker size (I use a ruler with a pizza slicer to get them straight and even) and sprinkle the top with more sea salt
- Slide the bottom piece of parchment and crackers onto a cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 fro 12-15 minutes until golden
- The outer crackers will brown the fastest, remove those and continue to cook the remaining crackers
*Honeyville or Bob’s Redmill will work just fine for these crackers.
I used melted butter to make these a bit “creamier” tasting, but expellor pressed coconut oil will work for dairy free option.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!!